The last days of summer have officially drawn to a close around here. I don't know where the time went...besides the fact I slept walked?? through most of it in a queasy pregnancy stupor. For the last "Hoo-rah", we took quick trip to Atlanta to celebrate Ellie turning 6. For her birthday, she got to choose between a party or going to the American Girl Store in Atlanta. Obviously, she chose the latter. What started out as a girls trip ended up as a family event. Cord, Jeremiah and Judson endured 3 painful hours in that place. Bless their hearts. In all seriousness, it was magical. We had the whole experience...dinner reservations in the Bistro, (complete with chairs for the dolls and pink muffins) a much needed trip to the "salon" (seriously, after the lice outbreak last year I nearly burnt those dolls up in the dryer....i also "treated" the doll hair JUST IN CASE...needless to say, it was money well-spent) and finally, an overnight stay in a hotel geared for American Girl visitors. Sounds fun, huh? It was-like I said-magical for a moment! Their little faces were priceless, their hearts-so appreciative, and their imaginations were in overdrive. We explored every inch of Northpoint mall, rode the carousel and played in the playground until we couldn't possibly play anymore. Then it was off to the hotel for the "icing on the cake" to the whole trip. The Marriott Residence inn has a package boasting of pink decor, special beds for the dolls and even cookies and milk at bedtime for all. We could hardly wait. I had arranged ahead of time for a 2 bedroom suite-adjoining rooms-we did have 4 small children in tow. Just to be safe, I didn't make reservations via Internet, but called the 1-800 number instead so I could speak to a real person and be able to rest assured all of my questions were answered and plans executed. It was just a perfect trip-even Jud did good.....until.!!!!!!AHEM. Attention. Beware. Proceed with Caution!!!!!!
I heard something like this;"I'm sorry, mam. What did you say your name was? Can you spell that for me. Hmmm. Could your reservation be under any other name? Well. I see. OK. Well, we don't have record of your reservation and we are completely booked. I'm sorry."
"Excuse me?" (please tell me this is a cute little joke for the weary pregnant lady with all the kids) "I don't think I heard you right....I made reservations In Advance over the phone with a Live Person...and, I even gave him my credit card number to hold the room."
I could feel the panic welling up! And yep. It happened. I cried out of frustration and desperation. I proceeded to tell the poor clerk how far we'd driven, that we'd just spent 6 hours at a mall with 3 kids and a toddler and now we are exhausted and ready to crash and have no place to lay our head in the city. She felt really sorry for me. Or thought I might lose it and jump over the counter at any given minute. Thankfully, she made some phone calls and sent us several miles down the road to a step above a roach motel. Being the germaphobe I am, the large Lysol that stays in my car, was emptied in the room....all areas disinfected and the kids thought they were at the Ritz Carlton.
It worked out, but not as planned. (And to the donkey who has my credit card number and didn't do your job...I am praying my heart won't wish bad things for you! OHHH, I hate being taken advantage of.)
All in all, it was a great trip. The store was delightful, the mall was entertaining, and the hotel was fun for the kids. However just the time being together was worth every penny spent and inconvenience tolerated. Our kids had our hearts, our attention and our energy UNDIVIDED for 24 hours and that is a gift no money can buy. Unfortunately, it is extremly rare for them. I am so thankful for the time together and for the laughs along the way. I'll close with my top 3 favorite quotes.
1. Upon entering Atlanta, we passed the MARTA train station. The children thought it was 6 flags and begged to ride it.....we should really get them out more.
2. In the Disney store there was a giant stuffed "Dumbo" elephant. I pointed it out to Saddler who tilted her little head and in a very perplexed tone said, "HUH. And all this time I thought Gumbo was a food...."
3. On the way out we had to stop at a toll road. Peppered with questions about why all the cars stopped, why do you have to pay, etc., the best answer I could come up with was that in Georgia, you have to pay to drive down certain roads. Ellie replied so abruptly, "Well. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard!" Well said. Well said.
What a blessing to be a mom...to have the opportunity to shape hearts and minds. I adore my family. I am blessed beyond measure and unworthy of every gift.......
We have a big week ahead! School begins! I'm sure there will be stories to tell....Until then, I'm counting my blessings~

4 comments:
What a sweet mom to make such great birthday arrangements. So sorry the hotel messed up. I always have that fear things will get messed up like that. Were you at the mall this past Saturday? My mom, my 4 sisters, and I were at North Point on Saturday and definitely made a trip into the American girl store. Would have been fun to bump into you!
You are so right. The best gift you can give your children is "undivided attention" and precious uninterrupted time with their mom and dad.
Praying you and Cord will seize every opportunity, no matter how small!
Oh too funny! I would have been equally frustrated!! And, that hotel experience sounds amazing! Who knew there was something out there like that???!
And, so glad to see your comment on the blog, and NO I did not think you one bit boastful. It's encouraging, really!
next time you come to atlanta, call me :)
Post a Comment