Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Beautiful

   I wish I could remember the last time the "Princesses" dined at my table. Had I realized what a fading privilege it was, I would have cooked something special...drawn out dinner a little longer and lingered over a yummy dessert. I would have memorized what they were wearing and how their crowns always sat a bit crooked upon their heads... How they laughed louder and talked bigger as a "princess". These days, the sightings are few and far between. The dress up clothes don't intrigue them like they used to and the "clip clops" have grown a size or two to small. Much to my surprise, I was thrilled to have caught a rare glimpse of one the other day.

Saddler stood in front of the full length mirror, unaware of my presence. Still as a statue, she gazed at her reflection and smiled her approval. She didn't move much. She just stood there taking in the beauty of the princess staring back at her. What she saw pleased her and her eyes shined proudly.
   "Wow. Don't you look pretty!" I exclaimed.
Without taking her eyes off herself she sweetly replied, "I know. I look beautiful."

Fighting the impulse to correct her for saying "i know" instead of "thank you", I just let her stay lost in the beauty and wonder of herself. Soon enough, those eyes that smile with approval will turn critical of what she sees in the mirror. And her grin will be replaced with a scowl. Her heart will be bombarded with lies and  self criticism will replace  self confidence. I want her to remember what it's like to feel beautiful. To feel content in how her Father has fearfully and wonderfully created her.

1 comments:

Bethany said...

LOVE this! All too true at my house...miss seeing and talking to you friend!