Saturday, May 9, 2009

An Inadequate Attempt

How in the world do I pay tribute to this person I call "mother"? The one who physically carried me for nine months...who delivered me alone in a New Orleans hospital one steamy June morning (long before dads were allowed in the room to aid and encourage and a thousand miles away from her own mother's reassuring words during what had to be a frightening time) How do I thank the one who cared for me, nurtured me, rocked me and taught me.? My real life heroine. I feel so inadequate.!

Mom. Just the mention of her name brings a sense of calm and a smile. She is our rock. Steady in her faith and convictions. Unwavering in her love for her Savior. Unapologetic in her love for her family. She is the epitome of a Godly wife. Patient. Thoughtful.Kind. Steadfast. Her speech seasoned with wisdom and full of His truth. For 33 years I have watched the storms of life wage war on her....they've come in all shapes and sizes. The challenges of being a Pastor's wife, frequent moves, debilitating headaches, and prodigal children. She's been a caregiver to her own mom, walked through the deep valley of death with her sister as she placed her son in The Father's hands, and again as they buried their own mother. She's stared evil square in the face and though they lost their church, their reputation, their name and endured tremendous betrayal from most of their friends, there is one thing she didn't lose.Her faith. As the storms blew the roots grew. Deeper and deeper they reached anchoring us all in the one thing we knew to be worthy of our trust... Christ, The Solid Rock.

Yes, she's taught me everything from my first word and how to use the potty, to how to navigate a broken heart and lots of precarious teenage moments.I can remember the first time in Jr. High school when I thought hey-my mom might know something after all....I was having a bad hair day. (oh my! did I have really bad hair days!) Anyway, fragile emotions and high strung I started to cry in front of her bathroom mirror. Words didn't need to be exchanged because she knew. She just knew. After seeing my frustration, she told me a quick story of her own and how she once felt the same way. I think I was shocked to find her human. We went for donuts and she checked me into school later that day. A seemingly unimportant moment marked a milestone in our relationship. Mother turned mentor turned friend.


No matter how old we get, nothing makes it better like Mom. Her touch comforted me, soothed me and has power still to soothe and calm me.Her joy and countenance steadied me on my wedding day as she beamed on the front row. Her touched comforted me as one, two , three, four babies went directly from my womb into Heaven's arms. And her presence strengthened me as I labored for 18 hours with my first born! Right there she stood, tirelessly encouraging, praying, sitting with me as my body wretched in pain. Only her cries of joy rivaled mine as that tiny baby drew his first breath! Yes, the sweet voice that calmed me so many years ago, still has the power to settle me today.

She is interested in all the uninteresting things about me! How I felt today, what we had for supper, did anyone do anything funny or what's the weather doing up there?.... And how can I pray for you? Do you need me to come up? My response is usually "no" but my heart always cries "yes"! Yes I need you! I will always need you, but no, you don't have to come.

Mom. Could God have given a greater gift to humanity than mothers? We went to watch the movie "Earth" this week. One thing struck me throughout the movie and that was the mothers. All animals, of course, but having the same goal to see their offspring live and thrive in the world. One particular part gripped my heart and painted a picture to what my mother has done for me. It was the hump back whale family. Mother retreating to calm tropical waters to birth and raise baby....denying self of food and other perks that come from being in community with the other whales...all for the sake of her baby. Once the baby was strong enough, they left the calm tropical waters for a long migration south to cold treacherous seas. During one scene a storm is at peak-winds raging and waters roaring, the whales float/swim very close to the top of the surface. Through the noise of the storm you hear and see the slapping of their mighty fins against the water. It looks maddening at first. Then the narrator explains that the storm drowns out the whale's calls to one another, so to avoid being lost or separated, they would slap the water to show they were there....He points out that even though the baby can't see the mother, she has learned to hear the mother's presence even over the storm and it calms her. Wow. My mom has courageously and faithfully taught me to listen to not her voice but a voice Greater than hers and though I cannot see Him, I know He is there-even in the storms-and His presence calms me.

No finer gift could be given than to be raised by my mom. To be taught the ways of the Cross at her feet and to follow her footsteps as she walked in faith through the storms. This is such an ugly, inadequate attempt to say thank you, Mom, this Mother's day- for just being you!. You are the most beautiful woman in the whole world to me, inside and out, and I am so very honored to be yours! I love you and wish you a Happy Day! Lots of hugs and sticky kisses from all the little people here! WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

brandyjones said...

Heather,
Although I have never met you, I feel connected to you. Your words(as I always tell you) are beautiful. They always bring tears to my eyes...the good, soul- cleansing kind of tears. When I read your posts, I can feel Christ through the words you speak. May you forever be blessed with HIS LOVE.

Mustard Seeds said...

Precious Sister~
What an AMAZING tribute to an AMAZING woman!!! Every word that you have written of her is true and beautiful. . .her children truly do have so many reasons to, "arise and call her blessed," (Prov. 31:28), and all of us who are blessed enough to call her friend have been made better just by knowing her! I do believe, sweet friend, that the proverbial apple hasn't fallen far from the tree!
I love you, and I continue to lift you up daily! I pray that you are feeling well!