Thursday, February 26, 2009

Conversations in Passing


My mind is still foggy as I am recovering from walking pnuemonia....but some funny comments have transpired around me as I'd lost my voice for a week. Saddler's loving it.

While Cord was out of town the other day, I made my way to McDonalds after dropping of the older kids at school. I realized as I sat in the drive thru with cars piled behind me that there was no way the sweet Mexican could hear me whispering through the speaker.

"Hurry, quick, Saddler! Unbuckle and come get in my lap and say everything I tell you LOUDLY."She eagerly clamored into the front with me.

"Say, one small coffee." (she whispers mimicking me.) Louder Saddler. "ONE SMALL COFFEE!" she yells.
"Cream and sugar?" we're asked in broken english. "OH YES! Cream and Sugar." she yells back. Will that be all? Say No loudly again my sweet girl....Now say one small coke please. "And a Coke!!!" she yells. "Please!" (the poor lady thinks she's the victim of a bad joke) Saddler then decides she wants pancakes and sausage. What the heck.

"Please pull around with money ready...." WAIT! Yells Saddler. I need something else.!

Ok. Say one hot cake with sausage. "Not cakes and not sausage." she yells. No no no. its "hotcakes" means pancakes. Say Hot cakes with sausage. "Pancakes with lots of sausage please" she's getting it now. The lady is so confused. It went down hill quick from here. No prompting. No warning. Next thing I know my child is yelling out: "and a yo-gret. and a cheeseburger. and a happy meal. and a chicken nuggets and french fries.....and...."

My feeble attempts to hush her didn't work. I shoved my hand over her mouth and wheeled around to the window. Only after she was buckled in, of course.

Saddler: "Mom. Is your sound broke? How come I can't hear you....when are you gonna find the "boice" you lost? I like it when you can't talk so I can get stuff at McDonalds. Can we get chick-fil-a for lunch?"


12 comments:

Megan Carson said...

Heather Dear...pneumonia??? Goodness Gracious! I wish I was there to help out! Love you so much. I've been asking the Lord to give me an opportunity to get over to B'ham. If I come, I expect to see you!
Megan

Bethany said...

PRICELESS!!! Hope you're feeling better.

Mustard Seeds said...

THIS IS HILARIOUS!!!! I promise this sounds like something Sam would do. . .Oh, Sister, I needed to laugh out loud today. . .thanks for giving me the chance! =)
Hope you're feeling better!

Andrew and Jessica said...

This is absolutely hysterical!!!

Tegan said...

that is the funniest thing i've heard in a long time. so funny! i miss my neices and nephews! love you!

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh that is the funniest thing i have read on a blog. period. i miss your kids. and you. UAB is holding me hostage!!!

Courtney said...

That is good stuff! I need more moments like that so I feel like our house is normal.

corey said...

i'm crying from laughing! i love it!!

Anonymous said...

Heather,

This reminds me that God has so much more for us than we ask for. May we have a little more of Saddler in us as we seek His face, His heart, and His way.

I love you so much!!

Mom

Abby Maddox said...

So funny ;)

Megan Carson said...

HEATHER...I JUST EMAILED YOU AT YOUR YAHOO ACCOUNT. DO YOU STILL CHECK IT?

Ellen said...

Oh dear, what a hysterical story!! I'm so glad I found your blog, too!! Your children are absolutely precious.... what a beautiful family inside and out!!